the retro-mood...

I read an article on fat lava this morning. Ever heard of it? I didn't know the name, but when I saw the pictures I thought: 'AAAARGH, I remember that kind of vases! They gave me nightmares and very agressive impulses.'
Here are some examples:



I got this picture from kaylovesvintage.blogspot.nl

Here are some more links on this kind of stuf:
mardjantie/west-german-pottery
the ranch designgroup
little owl ski

It seems that although we wanted to destroy them years ago, there are people who really collect them.
And it is strange: the more pictures I see of these vases, the more I tend to like some of them. Is that just the effect of being overloaded with images? Like with Pokemon: in the end no matter how much you hate them, once you've seen 2000 of them there will be one you don't dislike as much as the others and you are actually going to like. And then another one, and then another one also.
I don't know. You can try this for yourself by taking a look at some of the sites mentioned above or by just typing 'fat lava' into your searchbar.

Anyway the fat lava brought me into some sort of a retro-mood, which made me finish this design I started some time ago.

By the way: this design is available as print on several products on Redbubble

Comments