Did you know... Alexander Calder




Did you know that yesterday it was exactly 118 years ago that Alexander Calder was born? I did not, but I discovered it this morning on facebook. Shame on me, because I am an absolute admirer of his art. The lightness and playfulness are so inspiring. Inspiring for my art and my life. 'We do not all have to make this very heavy art', he seems to say. It is okay to laugh and to make 'childish' art, to use clear colors and not to be depressed and suffering as an artist.

Actually and do not know very much about his personal life or his personality, but I love what I see transpiring through his work. I take that as a remembrance of the art I want to make: light, playful, poetic, yet meaningful in the feeling that it beams out. A message of: let us love life, let us celebrate life in all its forms! What else is there to life anyway!


Today I am honouring Alexander Calder by reading about him, watching his work and by making happy playful art myself. 


Comments